18th November 2020
👠 INTRODUCTION by @LaureClaire Co-Founder and COO @Launchworks & Co, co-author "Platform Strategy"
- A 3rd of the global transaction will be through platforms @Mckinsey
- Practitioners: Founder, Investors, Corporates; Policymakers: regulators, competition; Academics: professors, researchers all are involved at the platform world
- #Platforms create and ecosystem, connect and transact
💼 PLATFORM IMPACT moderated by @Jennifer Schenker Founder and Editor-in-Chief @The Innovator
How #platforms have fared and adapted during covid, their increasing contribution to resilient ecosystems, and how they may contribute to a sustainable economic recovery.
🎩 @Joe Schorge, Founder and Managing Partner @Isomer Capital
- Travel & Tourism: the best result ever in January, worst in March
- Education, Healthcare, Home Care, Food: the winners one
- Journey for Traditional Business:
1.Understand what's going on: research, studies, trends
2.Engage: I have to sell through a platform? Be part of one?
3.Launching a platform for your business: that's hard!
🎓 Professor @Arun Sundararajan, Harold Price Professor of Entrepreneurship @NYU
- Acceleration of changes: Try something new, it was around but not used before
- Platform will dominate in post-pandemic travel @Airbnb 80% rapid rebound. Benefit long run, rebuild trust in the familiar, rebuilt in the experience
- Platforms have the know-how to build trust
-Traditional Companies with a brand, financial, and governance advantage, not to become a provider of a platform, and pay attention to the desire to move rapidly
💻 @Llibert Argerich, SVP Marketing @Udemy
- Shutdown accelerate 5 years into 1
- People need flexibility and turn to learning, online learning
- Connect with different people around the planet
- If you are going to become a part of a platform understand which value you will get from the platform
🏛️ PLATFORM REGULATION moderated by @Lewis Crofts, editor in Chief @Mlex
Like all businesses, platforms are subject to competition law as well as a range of regulatory obligations (including for example data privacy). Some policymakers are now arguing that platforms may require additional scrutiny. Challenges associated with the regulation of platforms and ecosystems.
🎓 Professor @Michael Jacobides, Sir Donald Gordon Chair of Entrepreneurship & Innovation and Strategy Professor @London Business School
-Big Tech dominance (and, a whiff of economic nationalism
- Traditional tools of regulation looking at old problems
- Lock-ins and dominance is more short-lived than rumored
It is hard to gainsay that power exists and current antitrust tools struggle: Mega-ecosystem creators want to envelop the final customer's every move
⏳@Tom Smith, Director of Legal, UK's Competition & Markets Authority
- We need principle-based regulation
- Existing tools are too Slow
💡@Oliver Bethell, Head of Competition EMEA, Google
- Innovation must be not stopped by regulation
🌍 PLATFORM GOVERNANCE moderated by @Azeem Azhar Founder & CEO, @Exponential View
Unlike traditional businesses platforms orchestrate complex ecosystems and co-create value with their participants. The governance principles of platforms, the challenges associated with ecosystem management, and the importance of trust.
🚘 @Frederic Mazella, Founder, and President @BlaBlaCar and co-president @France Digitale
-Measure the level of trust
- Think it, Build it, Use it: become the most demanding customer
- Customer support and Product development must work very close
- +21% of trust comes from the Brand effect
- Rules must be very clear and simple. The community must be aware of them
😍 @RobChesnut Former Chief Ethics Officer @Airbnb, Author "Intentional Integrity"
- Start from the board, ensuring everybody is on the same page
- Integrity, talk about it.
- Curiosity and Humility
- Do what you measure, what good for the community, and recognize the compromise
🚲 @Sasha Michaud Co-founder & VP Public Affairs, @Glovo
- Be transparent
- Understand the margins, commissions, and how we can work together
- Strict regulation is not good for anyone, so autoregulate yourself
✨ CONCLUSION by @Benoit Reillier Co-Founder and CEO, @Launchworks & Co co-author of "Platform Strategy"
🔝🔝🔝 Loved the Live Illustration of the event by @Louise Plantin